January ePortfolio Blog

Total hours completed in January: 0 hours

Total hours completed: 0 hours

January has represented a busy start to the spring semester of this program! We started out this month by delving into the diabetes and thyroid modules and because each condition had two contrasting possibilities (hyper- and hypothyroidism and DMT1 and DMT2) and each have implications throughout the body and its various systems, I would say these modules were challenging in regards to conceptualizing and memorizing the principles and pathophysiology of both, but with no fault to the material or instruction though just that endocrinology just may not be the ideal specialty for me. On a brighter, we just started the reproductive module and I am thoroughly enjoying it as it is not only applicable to me as an early 20s woman and learning of the possible implications that which my current behaviors might have later on in life, with reproductive rights being such a prevalent topic in sociopolitical realm of media, it is great to have a more medically/scientifically founded understanding of what is actually happening in the case of the mentioned drugs and conditions. A thing that has been different this semester that has both pros and cons to me are an increased amount of presentations for various classes. Like all of the professors have said, I agree that learning how to present to an audience, that is albeit much more favorable now, will have long-term benefits to your life later on as a future physician and/or researcher, I just didn't realize the amount of preparation that goes into understanding and preparing presentations on complicated, cutting-edge medical science research articles and then conveying that to an audience in a way that's understandable. All that's to say I really do enjoy presenting and learning about new advances, but have struggled in figuring out how to balance that with the many spinning priorities of this semester.

In other news, I have started my MCAT preparation as I am thinking about applying this cycle and found it is definitely hard to pencil out time within my downtime as I have also recently started a position as a scribe! Even though I have just started my training, I can tell just like with this program that my interests lie in medicine and I am meant be there in the future as it is so fun getting to learn various medical terminology, charting and the ins and outs of patient care and more about the healthcare industry as a whole. I have found that in my training that a good bit of the material is familiar and that is thanks to this program, so I can't wait to see how this new position and this semester progresses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September ePortfolio Blog

November ePortfolio Blog