April ePortfolio Blog

April Community Service Hours Completed: 17

Total Community Service Hours Completed: 20

All Hours will be completed by Friday, May 3rd!

    This month and especially the last two weeks, I completed the bulk of my community service hours by spending my time at Second Harvest Food Bank of New Orleans and partaking in making homemade cards for Braid Mission's Cards of Hope program. Over the years in undergrad, I participated in many in-person service opportunities through my sorority, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and as a co-founder of a non-profit organization based out of Nashville named Launch Mentorship and volunteering at Second Harvest these last few weeks really made me miss the special nature that is a group working together to directly impact their community and getting to see the fruits of your compassion and labor. During my shifts there, I packaged loaves of bread from different suppliers to go to various clients, put together 5lb bags of sweet potatoes and packaged left over bread pieces from Raising Canes together into bigger bags. I not only immensely enjoyed the work and learning more about the communities my efforts would impact, but I also loved spending time with my fellow volunteer peers and getting to know them.  I will be finishing the last of my hours there this Friday and would love to spend more time there over the summer as the director indicated that's when community needs increase.

    My other source of community service came from making homemade cards for Braid Mission, which is a non-profit based out of the Bay Area that has a program called "Cards of Hope" that sends homemade and heartfelt cards to foster kids that can range anywhere from birthday wishes or even just words of encouragement. I did this same service in college during the pandemic when in-person service was not a possibility and absolutely loved their mission so I did it again to partake in something that did not even feel like service as I love arts and crafts with the immense benefit of letting the kids receiving these cards knew that someone out there cared for them and was rooting for them. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September ePortfolio Blog

November ePortfolio Blog

January ePortfolio Blog